Sider

lørdag 21. februar 2009

wher'd all the freaks go?

I've seen alot of curiosities through my mere 20 year old life.
I've seen a legless romani sitting on a skateboard in the back allies of rome.
I've seen a lady with something closely qualified as a beard in NYC.
I've seen an sickly obese man close to 300 kilos in Ohio.
I've seen transvestites dancing reggeaton in La Habana.
I've seen a guy missing one eye in Portugal and
another guy missing an amazingly big part of his head(!?!) on the bus.

In fact, last week, I saw a man getting arrested by the police on the opposite side of my street, after being high on god knows what, and throwing his computer, telly and microwave out of his 3 floor window.
But I've been wondering lately; where did all the freaks go in Bergen?
Where are all the transvestites, dwarfs and crippled folks?
I have yet to spot them in this rainy city.
Are they stacked away some secret place?
Are they hideing out in one of the city's seven surrounding mountains?

I know they exist and are out there.
But where are they?
Tell me; there must be more that the bucket-guy down by Café Opera.

Aimee Mann - Save Me


You look like... a perfect fit,
For a girl in need... of a tourniquet.
But can you save me?
Come on and save me...
If you could save me,
From the ranks of the freaks,
Who suspect they could never love anyone.


Here are some pictures of the traveling circus "Freaks" who toured the United States in the beginning of the 20th century. "Freaks" were filmatized in 1932, and included real people with deformities. In the film, the physically deformed "freaks" are inherently trusting and honorable people, while the real monsters are two of the "normal" members of the circus who conspire to murder one of the performers to obtain his large inheritance (Wikipedia). I feel kinda sad when I look at these people, who may have been taken advantage of in a cruel way. At the same time, I can't help being fascinated. I guess I house a morbid sense of curiosity.





Ingen kommentarer: